Hofbräuhaus in Munchen Germany
When Munich’s private brewers and tavern keepers complained that not only the royal servants, but also many commoners indulged in royal Hofbräuhaus beer, King Ludwig I. proved himself to be very benevolent. In 1828, he issued a decree that opened up the Hofbräuhaus to the public, marking the onset of operation of the Hofbräuhaus at Platzl as we know it today. In his "Delightful History" of the Munich Hofbräuhaus written in 1883, Johann Mayerhofer reported that thousands of Munich ’s citizens came to enjoy the freshly tapped beer. Even the king showed up for the celebration.
The historic beer hall on the first floor on the building is considered the heart of the Hofbräuhaus.
Here where Hofbräuhaus beer was once brewed, underneath the cross vaults up the 1,300 guest can sit at tables, some of which have been here since 1897 as testified by the many initials, names and comments engraved on them.
Directly to the left on the main portal is the bar, to the right of the entrance is the smaller room for 70 people, People unfamiliar with the room's history are surprised by its name Stadelheim, the name of Munich's prison.
This room does, in fact, owe its name to the prison, up until World War II prison officials, regulars at the Hofbräuhaus. had their own reserved table in this room.
In the center of the public beer hall is a music podium where the musicians play every day. On Weekends visiting bands provide lively entertainment for the guests.
A Hofbräuhaus rarity, found nowhere else in the world, is the tow racks of beer stein safes. These practical storage units were installed in 1970. Encouraged by some of the regular guest who wanted a safe and separete storage space for their personal and in some cases, very valuable, beer steins, the HB landlord at the time installed a steel rack with lockers for up the 424 stoneware and glass mugs.
The wrangling among the regulars to secure one of these boxes with high status-symbol value was, and still continues to be intense.
Post a Comment